January is National Blood Donor Month
Did you know?
- About every 2 seconds, someone in the U.S. needs blood.
- A single blood donation can save up to 3 lives.
- Only 3% of age-eligible individuals in the U.S. give blood each year.
- Most blood types fall into one of the four major groups: A, B, AB, O. However, some people have rare blood types that fall outside the major groups, and for these patients we need a more diverse blood supply.
- Black or African American blood donors are particularly important to patients with rare blood types who often need blood donated by someone with a similar race or ethnicity.